Whatever be the motive for your summer travel, the very essence is the bonding between the members of the family. So involve them in the making of decisions and enjoy the cacophony that ensues! Lock your house, forget your electricity bills, pack the travel friendly kit. You are away, travelling in summer to a destination of your choice. To keep up with this happy rhythm be wise in following certain precautions.
Here we go:
• Your home: Always inform your neighbours about your travel dates. In the passing they would notice if there are suspicious goings-on. The best choice would be to get security from a reputed firm, if yours is an independent bungalow.
• Familiarize with your destination: Book your tickets and your hotel well in advance so that you get the hotel of your choice. It would be excellent to get customer reviews of the hotel and its locality. If you are driving to your destination your vehicle should be checked and stamped as “roadworthy” by your garage. Keep the fuel tank full. Get familiar with the maps and tour books of that area.
• Basic medicines: It’s very important to carry a first aid kit with the medicines associated with summer travel – possible diarrhoea, sore throats, allergies, summer boils, cuts and scrapes. Don’t forget the medicines that are part of the family’s daily dose. If you have a history of any illness, carry the medical reports. Enlist your doctor’s number, the local doctor’s number and the numbers you want to notify in an emergency, under one caption.
• Health tips: Avoid drinking water from public places. Always drink safe water. Pre cut fruits have lost many nutrients and host bacteria so always eat fruits that can be washed with safe water. Drink lots of water to avoid dehydration on your summer travel. Coconut water is a healthy and safe option. Never venture into the sun immediately after a bath. This can cause a heat stroke. Do not overeat and drink. The idea is to enjoy and not remain confined to bed in a strange locale.
• Clothes and accessories: Invest in cool cottons, pleasing pastels, and lightweight material. Avoid synthetics. Go for sensible footwear. Be sure to include walking shoes and hats. The idea of warm clothes and summer travel do not connect. However; if you are travelling from the hot plains to the cool hill stations pack some woollens, caps, and socks. Casual clothes relax you. Anyway, you can always dress up for dinner, if the occasion requires it. Never wear precious jewellery.
• Yourself: When you embark on a summer travel leave your ‘identity’ behind. Let it rest only in your PAN card, ID proof or driver’s license, which should always be found on your person. Otherwise become an abstract being, carefree, an adventurous wanderer. Forget those inhibitions and become the person you always wanted to be. Do the things you could never find time for – go for long walks, be in close proximity to Nature. Doing things with the whole family is very cathartic. Avoid too much T.V, play board games and silly games with your loved ones. A family that plays together stays together. Be happy, laugh a lot, let go. Please don’t forget to smile at people. An answering smile brings back loads of positive energy. Do remember to tip the staff that looked after you. Find yourself and your loved ones all over again.
Never compare your destination with that of others. It does not matter if yours is a few kilometres away and theirs span an ocean. Make this summer travel a special one with warm memories.Enjoy whatever you do and be grateful you have a family.